SHADING/LIGHTING TECHNICAL DIRECTORS
We are seeking Shading/Lighting Technical Directors (S/L TDs) for upcoming projects at our Burbank, CA studio.
S/L TDs are responsible for providing support to our Look Development and Lighting teams in a variety of areas including scripting, shader development, and writing tools to facilitate the CG animation process.
S/L TDs should have a strong desire to be close to the filmmaking process. They function as an integral part of the department, designing or optimizing processes and tools to best fit production needs. They should look at production systems holistically and have the ability to visualize the larger pipeline, understanding the impact of their actions, and how to optimize processes and tools. S/L TDs also have an important role in our ongoing efforts to push the boundaries of what we're capable of producing in our rendering toolsets.
- Provide support to our Look Development and Lighting artists in a variety of areas including scripting, shader development, and writing tools to facilitate the CG animation process
- Design and optimize processes and tools to fit production needs
- View production systems holistically and have the ability to visualize the larger pipeline while understanding the impact of their actions
- Act as a collaborator with the larger Technical Director team
- Active engagement with artistic and technical leadership in the ongoing evolution of the production process
- Become involved in mentoring apprentices and other Technical Directors in Shading/Lighting tools and processes
- Active engagement with the Technology Department in the research and development of rendering methodologies
- Involvement in the positive representation of Walt Disney Animation Studios in the larger filmmaking and computer graphics community
- PhD in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent work experience (6+ years experience in CG animation, visual effects or video games production, or graphics research environment)
- Strong scripting and programming skills including Python and C++
- Ability to write and apply innovative shaders and a deep understanding of rendering techniques and methodologies
- Software development experience on production systems
- Advanced Maya experience and in-depth knowledge of Linux
- Renderman or similar experience along with solid understanding of node-based compositing packages (i.e. Shake, Nuke, or similar)
- Understanding of color, shading, and lighting techniques
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, offer mentorship, and take direction from department and show leadership
- Understanding of environmental effects simulation techniques and Houdini a plus
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.